The D.A.R.E. America Board of Directors is pleased to offer a $20,000 scholarship to recognize academic excellence and reward students who remain true to the goals of the D.A.R.E. program.
This scholarship is awarded annually to a qualified 12th grade student to attend the university or college of their choice. Payment will be made directly to the educational institution over a period of four academic years, not to exceed $5,000 per year.
The requirements for eligibility are as follows:
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have completed junior year of high school at time of application
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must not be related to a current D.A.R.E. officer/administrator
- Must apply only to an accredited institution (4 years) in the U.S.
- Must lead a lifestyle consistent with the goals and objectives of D.A.R.E.
- Must be a member of the D.A.R.E. America Youth Advisory Board
Applicants must submit a portfolio that includes the following:
- DARE Scholarship Application Form (click to download the form)
- Scholarship Tracking Form (click to download the form)
- An essay, 500-word maximum, addressing the topic “D.A.R.E.: How it has impacted my life; how I will use these skills to contribute to society.”
- Written summary documenting academic achievements and extracurricular activities that reflect the spirit and goals of D.A.R.E.
- Written summary documenting current role with the Youth Advisory Board
- Official sealed transcript of grades and scholastic scores
- A letter of recommendation from a school administrator/educator
- A letter of recommendation for outstanding achievement in community service from a source other than school administrators/educators or law enforcement officials
- Applicant must submit their scholarship application portfolio to their D.A.R.E. officer by March 10, 2017. The application should be submitted through the student’s last D.A.R.E. officer or an active D.A.R.E. officer of the department in their community.
- D.A.R.E. officer must complete Section A of the Scholarship Tracking Form.
- D.A.R.E. officer must forward the scholarship application, accompanied by a completed Scholarship Tracking Form, to their respective D.A.R.E. State President or Coordinator by March 24, 2017.
- D.A.R.E. State President or Coordinator must review and approve application, and submit no later than April 17, 2017 to:
Attn: YAB Scholarship
9800 La Cienega Blvd, Suite 401
Inglewood, CA 90301
The D.A.R.E. America Scholarship Committee will review all applications and make a final selection by May 15, 2017. The award recipient will be notified by a D.A.R.E. America representative. The selected student will be required to sign a letter of award and agreement.
Invitations will be extended to the award recipient, a parent/guardian, and/or the D.A.R.E. Officer to attend the Annual D.A.R.E. International Training Conference on July 11-13, 2017 in Grapevine, TX, where a formal presentation of the award will be made during the Award Ceremony.
Questions regarding the scholarship application should be directed to Jacqueline Ho at (800) 223-3273 ext. 408 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION TIMELINE
- March 10 – Student submits scholarship application to your D.A.R.E. Officer
- March 24 – D.A.R.E. Officer forwards application with tracking form to State D.A.R.E. President / Coordinator
- April 17 – State D.A.R.E. President / Coordinator forwards application and tracking form to D.A.R.E. America
- May 15 – Scholarship Committee reviews and makes selection
- July 13 – Formal presentation of Scholarship Award during the D.A.R.E. Conference in Grapevine, TX